Wednesday, May 6, 2009

5-6-09 Part 2

Now, running through the lines of spectators and crowd, and back to transition area. Initially i thought someone took my bike because my bike slot was empty. But with the help of the Avia volunteers, they help me realize that my bike wasn't gone and that i was just on at the wrong place but at the right aisle. Yup, the swim pretty much got me displaced, on top of that with the chaos of whats happening in my surrounding. Everyone was scattered in the area to look for their bikes while many were stripping out of them heavy tight wet suits. So i finally got to my bike, changed into whatever was needed for the bike portion; bike, helmet, gloves, sunglass, shoes, and gummy food. The bike course was semi-long, about 25 miles, so food was somewhat important, if i felt the hunger. So off i go, running next to my bike onto the start of the bike route.

Bike portion:

Excited to finally make use of my leg muscles and now able to rest my tired arms, i'm in a state of relief. I hopped on the bike and clipped on my cleated bike shoes...clack...clack...Passing through the spectators, going into the aero-position, smoothly rode away from the start. It was quite a pleasant ride for the first quarter mile, until I had to struggle to climb up this very very steep 1 mile hill. From the first hill, i must say i was beat, by the time i got to the top. When i was on the top, i had to put my front and rear gears to the lowest gears, so i can ride more easily and recover my leg strength. About 2-3 miles into the ride, my gears were acting up so i had to hop off my bike to check what was wrong. Apparently, my bike chain just needed some hard knocking to get the chain back into the gears. Once the chain was in place, i hoped back on my bike and continued to chase back up and ride behind the rest of the pack of cyclist.



Throughout the bike portion, i was having a couple minor hip cramps, due to standing too long on one leg(while other clip on the bike) at a slight hill during my chain incident. Anyhow, i didn't let that stop me but it did cause me to ride slower than usual. So riding and riding along. Now 11-12 miles into the course, i heard Tony yelled from the opposite side of the race course, we where riding on opposite sides because he was faster than I was and later in the course we needed to make a u-turn, which i thought i heard he said "Go eat shit Danny!?!?!?". But after the race, he told me that i miss heard what he said, and what he said was"Good shit Danny!?!?!". I guess the cross wind and the Doppler effect was what i had experienced, like two trains speeding pass each other on opposite sides and not being able to make clear what the opposite said. After the 13 mile point, the u-turn, i had to grab some water which the volunteers' were handing out. I grabbed a cup of water and splashed it on my face, it helped cooled my face a little(it was about mid 70 degrees heat) . I later grabbed a cup of cold Gatorade for rejuvenation.



To be continue....(on lunch break, follow by homework)

1 comment:

MattMatt said...

dang, that's some extreme stuff.